HEPATITIS C VIRUS (HCV)
This is also a blood-borne infection. It usually takes 8 weeks for liver function abnormalities to occur following exposure to the virus.
It causes a long- standing (chronic) infection, and can in turn cause hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer).
- Transfusion of unscreened blood
- Sharing of needles by intravenous drug users
- Organ transplantation
- Use of unsterilized needles for dental procedures, tattooing.
- Proper screening of blood donors
- Use new needles each time, rather than repeating the use of one
- Do not share needles with anyone
- Proper sterilization of instruments prior to use
NO VACCINE IS AVAILABLE YET FOR HEPATITIS C, therefore adequate preventive measures should be taken.
Got questions? Consult DoctorKK right here.